Thursday, June 4, 2020

Riding in Trucks


This is a re-write of an oldie but goodie. It's still true.

     My boys started making engine sounds as soon as they could talk. Their forks were bulldozers at the supper table, their hands were boats in the bathtub, and their bodies were race-cars in the supermarket aisles.
     I have never understood this fascination with all things motor. I prefer to ride something that breathes, so I bought a couple of  horses in hopes that I could bond with my two motor-heads, After a season or two of trotting and cantering they abandoned me for the four- wheeler. My oldest explained it this way. “Horses buck, engines don't."
      I beg to differ. A horse wants to stay upright as much as I do, but a lawn mower doesn’t care if it lives or dies. That’s why I never drive one on the side of a slope. A lawn mower can definitely buck you off, and then cut your foot off for spite.
      I once dated a fellow who loved bucking souped-up trucks across impossible slopes covered in rocks and mud. I rode with him, once. He yee-ha’d as we skidded sideways down a 90 degree incline and climbed cow-sized rocks while I pressed my knees against the dashboard, clenched the door handle and prepared to dismount as soon as the wheels stopped spinning.
     When I married My Own Farmer, I never guessed he came complete with a variety of motor-induced hazards. We’d be skidding along a comfortable, horizontal track in knee-deep snow as we carried hay out to the cows, when suddenly he would point the nose of the truck uphill and start digging a path to the top through the ten foot drifts.  The whine of the engine was always drowned out by the whine of his wife as we topped the rise.
     On another occasion, My Own Farmer offered me the chance to go along with him and spread some lime. His poetic descriptions of the vistas I would see, outweighed my common sense and I probably would have enjoyed the scenery if I had ever opened my eyes.
     Dangers lurk right outside my door, as well. Just yesterday, after mucking out the chicken house, I asked my husband to help me spread some of the litter and manure. When we got halfway down the driveway, he dropped the truck into low range. I looked at him suspiciously. “I thought we were going to spread this on that nice flat meadow in front of the house.” In answer, he turned the truck straight up the tallest hill.  “It will do the most good here,” he replied. 
     It’s been raining a lot lately so of course we hung up in thick mud creeping down the side of the ridge. “Now, we’ll see what this baby can do,” my motor-head hubby laughed. 
      “This baby is going to hit you if you don’t let me out,” I replied, but by that time, we had managed to spin our way through the muck to solid ground.
     We rode up the hill the rest of the way in silence. My eyes were closed and I was too busy praying to engage in frivolous conversation. When we finished forking the last bit of manure off, I walked down. 
     After years of riding along with him, I knew my husband would bring the truck off of the hill safely. But, he could concentrate better if I wasn’t screaming all the way down.

1 comment:

  1. Haha! “This baby is going to hit you if you don’t let me out,” - you made me laugh out loud 😊 I saw the tag on your blog about how you weren't born in a barn but got there as soon as you could and I had to come visit since I am exactly the same - though it's horse barns for me!

    ReplyDelete

Due to some spamming I now need to moderate comments. Thank you for your patience.