With that in mind, I thought I would share some of my favorite table blessings.
- (I learned this one at Sunday School when I was very young)
Thank You for the world so sweet,
thank You for the food we eat,
thank You for the birds that sing,
Thank you, Lord, for everything.
- (We sang the next four at Camp Hanover when I was a camper and a lifeguard there.)
Evening has come, the board is spread
Thanks be to God, who gives us bread
Praise God for bread.
( I can still hear the sound of the whole dining hall singing this as my group, which was always late, was pulling itself across the lake on the raft.)
Oh, the Lord's been good to me
and so I thank the Lord
for giving me the things I need,
the sun and the rain and the apple-seed
the Lord's been good to me.
(We always thought this one was guaranteed to bring rain)
For health, and strength and daily bread,
we give Thee thanks Oh Lord.
(This one was sung as a round)
We thank thee Lord, for this amazing day
For the leafy, green leaf spirit of trees
for the true blue dream of the sky
for everything that is natural,
that is infinite
that is Yes, Lord, Yes Lord,
(My friend Doug Walker taught us this one and I can still picture him leading it)
- (I like this one because it reminds me that God has a sense of humor)
Rub a dub dub
Thanks for the grub
- (My son Scott learned this one when he was really young, but he always mixed up the last words in the first two lines. I'm writing it the way he always said it)
God is good,
God is great,
and we thank Him for our food.
By His hands, we all are fed
Thank You, Lord, for daily bread.
- (and finally, my Daddy's prayer...)
Bless this food to our use
and us to thy service,
and Please Lord, save this nation unto Yourself. (and then my mama always adds..."and Please Lord bless all those who suffer.") In Jesus' name we pray...Amen.