Friday, April 1, 2022

BE STILL


Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God.

God is in the quiet places and I have a hard time slowing down enough to spend time there.

Yesterday, it was my job to fill the four gigantic water troughs for the sheep. This is a task that takes about ten minutes. Ten minutes of  watching water surge into plastic ponds. Ten minutes of  fidgeting, standing on one leg and then the other and thinking about all there is yet to be done.

It is so hard for me to reach the state of quiet that allows me to hear anything other than the clamor of my life. But, as I stood at those four troughs, I thought about my husband, whose job it usually is to fill them. About how he leans on the fence as he holds the hose just so. About how he gazes at the fields in front of him, the mountains piled up beyond them and the sky arching over all of it. I asked him once what he thought about while standing at that fence staring out at the world and he said, "Nothing. I don't think about anything."

So, as I stood at the fence, I practiced quieting my mind. I let the sound of sheep slurping be the only background noise. I let the mountains and fields, quiet before the great spring unfolding, send their silence into my soul. I gave myself permission to just be. 

And God stepped in and said, "I am enough. I AM."

May you find a quiet spot for your soul today.



2 comments:

  1. Perfect post. Many thanks for those wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's beautiful, Ginny! And a great reminder to be still and know...

    ReplyDelete

Due to some spamming I now need to moderate comments. Thank you for your patience.